HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Relocations and In Take
Our Cats after Release
Phone Calls/Emails You Don’t Want to Get
Relocations and In Take: I placed 0 (just too cold) with in-take at 3.
I have some barns waiting for it to warm up or for friendly cats. Hope the weather warms up soon. I HATE THE COLD! Give me a nice warm day and night so the cats can be comfortable in their relocation cage.
I took in a cat from Dallas Animal Services that has been caught in a BEAR TRAP! The last time I checked, Dallas does not have any bears….but….some IDIOT has a bear trap. GEEZ!
December Closeout: I placed 26 in December in 6 north Texas counties. I will do the 2012 closeout next week.
Collin Ellis Hunt
Denton Grayson Rockwall
Our Cats after Release:
· Mansfield: Originally put Tommy and Truman in that heated workshop. THEN – the ranch manager also took Avalanche, a white cat from the Tri-City Shelter. Well, Truman and Avalanche are “hanging” together and Tommy has moved to the pool house. Looks like Tommy is a loaner. BUT – it is a safe place and insulated.
· Argyle: A lady named Jamie is moving out of state. She had 2 feral cats that needed to be relocated. A friend in Argyle offered to take them. She has some big caging in her backyard because she used to have 2 cougars – YES I SAID COUGARS! Both have now passed away of old age so the caging (really big with a top) was available for the relo. So, Jamie took over the first cat but she got out like the first night or something – really quick. Cats can get out of a very small opening under a fence or between the poles and the gate. Cat #1 – GONE! Yikes! So, we put up a cage in the garage and put cat #2 in there. We are now at week two and now CAT #1 has been spotted coming in and out of the garage to “see her friend”. YEAH – this is great!
Lucas: Jackie is living large in a triple garage in Lucas. She has her own “couch” and heater. The kids love her and the rodents are gone from the garage.
· McKinney: Harley – OH MY GOSH! Harley has turned into a “love bunny” – quote from barn owner. She follows her around, get in her lap, and wants to be LOVED at any and every moment! Congrats, Harley!
· Wolfe City: Batman and Molly – what beautiful black cats. They came out to see me and wanted to be petted. The barn owners are pleased because they are both staying in the barn and not venturing out over to the house. The 14-year-old barn cat is “adjusting” to the new youngsters in his life.
· Justin: Jackie and Jamie went to a barn in Justin. It has a loft where they can hang out – so did not see them…but the food keeps disappearing.
Phone Calls/Emails You Don’t Want to Get:
· A guy in Weatherford has about 15 cats that only 5 have been sterilized. He cannot afford to continue with the vet work. Feral Friends still has a vet on their list that is in Weatherford and I hope to work through them to get this problem resolved!
Check this out: Four months ago a lady purchased a condo in Dallas. Two months ago she adopted two cats (sisters) from a local rescue group or shelter. Before Christmas, she left and has not been back! She left a patio door open enough for the cats to get to the litter box on the patio. NOW – the cats have jumped from the patio and gone to one of the neighbors – hungry and spooked! The neighbor took them in and started calling from a list of no-kill groups and that is how they got to Barn Cats. Tomorrow we will be off to get them scanned for a microchip that will perhaps tell us what group they came from originally. POOR KITTIES! Scared and alone!
I am not looking forward to the first of the year…all the females are pregnant and kitten season will soon be upon us.
Remember: A female cat can get pregnant while she is nursing a litter!
Thanks for following the Barn Cat Blog. See you next week. Peg