Blog 05/23/16 to 05/29/16
BARN CAT BASH, Sunday, June 5, 2016
Bistecca in Highland Village, 5:30
Reservations Required (email to email@example.com for an invitation)
Our Cats after Release
Bad Calls/Emails: Community Cat Feeders
BMG (Bitch/Moan/Groan): Monday Morning Bitch Out
OMG (Oh My God): Duke – RIP – Brittle Bone Disease
Auction Items – LIVE Auction
Relocations and In Take: We had 19 placements this week.
2 Workshop in Roanoke (Silver, Spot)
3 Barn in Ennis (Sammy, Meara, Barney)
1 Garage in Fort Worth (Buster)
1 Backyard in Dallas (Raven)
6 Adoption Group (6 kittens from LVAS)
3 Barn in Prosper (Fran, Pretty, Amalie)
1 Pool House in Copper Canyon (Benny aka Benedict)
2 Barn in Frisco (Brute, Grayson)
Our Cats after Release:
1. Double Oak: Buddy, Bob, and Puddy went to this barn in the backyard of the family home. Buddy is being spotted but Bob and Puddy are around all the time. Those two got “attached” in the cat room in side-by-side cages….ahhhhhh! Glad to know they are doing well. Bob was trapped by a Barn Cat volunteer in her neighborhood.
2. McClendon/Chisholm: Gracie and Sissy both are living in the garage and protecting the family from rodents and snakes from a nearby pond. Both are doing well.
3. Flower Mound: Bev and Bob are being illusive in this barn environment. The food is disappearing but they have not been spotted.
4. Bonham: Willow, Sky, and Mel are doing great in this workshop. They have going to the family house and looked into the windows and even got an inside cat to come out to play! HA!
5. McKinney: Sammy, Sheba, and Jasper have settled into feed shed in McKinney. The two Great Pyrs are doing their job and all are safe in McKinney.
6. Copper Canyon: Autumn and Sandy (now Godzilla) – Autumn took off and has not been seen in a week but may still be around who knows. Godzilla is a great cat and the resident children love him. GOOD JOB SANDY!
Bad Calls/EMAILS: Community Cat Feeders
I appreciate people that do TNR (Trap/Neuter/Return) and then continue to feed the colony cats throughout their lives. HOWEVER, from time to time, friendly cats seem to show up at their feeding stations. Some uncaring person has probably moved away and left their cats to fend for themselves. BUT – those feeders DO NOT REMOVE the friendly cats! WHAT? Get them out of there and into one of the 300-400 adoption groups in the DFW area. I have done this before about 5 years ago and took in 15 cats from a particular situation. That same person called last night about some “cats in danger” and mentioned the friendly ones. GET THEM OUT OF THERE! When there are lots of cats, we take 2 or 3 each week until the problem is resolved. Then the number you are feeding is diminished and they are out of danger. This does not sound like BRAIN SURGERY to me – but I cannot seem to get it over to those feeders.
BMG: Monday Morning Bitch Out
The phone rang about 8:30 on Monday morning. It was a lady who said there were 7 cats she was going to get sterilized on Tuesday but they cannot be returned. OK – you don’t make a vet appointment without somewhere for them to go. (just logical – I think) She continued to talk and talk and talk and I could not get her to stop. So I YELLED “LISTEN!” – then she called me some bad names and hung up. OH WELL! Sorry for the cats in her care.
OMG: Duke – RIP – Brittle Bone Disease
A month or so ago, we helped out a person with a cat with a broken leg. We had her take him to All Care where a leg was removed. It was broken in multiple places. She took him home hoping to release him into her backyard. She decided to keep him inside so he could heal. SO he was in a bathroom by himself…no other cats! She discovered ANOTHER LEG PROBLEM mid-week and took him back to the clinic. Dr. Jill do x-rays and discovered MORE ADDITIONAL BREAKS! This is never going to get better so Duke was euthanized on Wednesday. We always do a cremation of cats that have come to us. POOR DUKE! But – he did not die alone somewhere without care. RIP, DUKE!
Auction Items: We have a live auction along with the silent auction. There will be 8 items on the live auction:
- Molded Plastic “Hello Kitty” Shoulder Bag
- 2 Pieces of Original Cat-Themed Art from China
- 2 Pieces of Original Dog-Themed Art from Hong Kong
- “Sunning Kitty” Oil Painting by local artist, Gaye Kelly
- Hand-Woven and Tied Silk Rug “Tree of Life” from China
- Framed/Numbered Artist Proof “Dream World of Consuelo” by Atlanta Artist Mamie Joe
- Chef Dinner for Eight at Bistecca
Thanks for following the Barn Cats Blog. Hope to see you at the BASH! Peg