Relocations and In Take
Our Cats after Release
Phone Calls/Emails You Don’t Want to Get
Missing Cat Colony
Barney Bush Passes Away
Relocations and In Take: We placed 11 this week but took in many more than that:
2 Barn in Weatherford (Nestle and Charlie)
2 Barn in Anna (Jamie and Josh)
2 Barn in Celeste (Viva and Vivian)
3 Shed in Decatur (3 teenagers)
1 Barn in Lucus (Goldie)
1 To an adoption group (Sweet Pea)
In take was a mess: 5 were scheduled then we picked up 9 in Tyler.
An elderly lady passed away in Tyler area. A rescue organization got the 9 feral cats trapped but then released them together into a big dog-size pin with a tarp held up by cinder blocks as shelter. PLUS – there are about 100 dogs on the property – all barking at the same time. Out of the 9, 5 were already sterilized but their shots were out of date and no one had ever been tested. The good news is that all tested negative for leukemia and aids. Now they are in 3 big cages in my family room.
January Closeout: We placed 38 in January which is the best January since 2009. Those placements were in the following counties:
Collin Dallas Fannin
Hunt Johnson Parker
Our Cats after Release:
· Seagoville: This is a construction company office and warehouse along Hwy 175. “Mama” was placed in the office – she has taken over the owners office chair! “Moose” and “Mr. T” were placed in the warehouse. “Moose” has moved in with “Mama” and paces the office area looking for mice and waiting for someone to pet him. “Mr. T” ran outside but is still seen and comes to eat each evening. Hopefully he will be back inside soon.
· Cedar Hill: The food is disappearing but they have not seen “Callie”…hope that changes!
· Benbrook: “Paddy” and “Cassidy” went to this barn. I did not see them but there are multiple barns on this large stable site.
· Weatherford: “Jacob” and “Little One” are still hanging around. “Jacob” stays in the tack room while “Little One” is out and about on the property. Both are seen on a regular basis.
Phone Calls/Emails You Don’t Want to Get:
· You know – people are just so OUT OF TOUCH when it comes to cat situations. A lady in the mid-cities says “I cannot stand to see them hungry” then complains that there are SOOOOOOO many that she is spending over $600 each month on cat food. Now there are usually 30 cats here waiting for placement plus the 16 “permanent” barn cats – too old to place. We never spend anywhere near $600 in monthly food! WHAT? GOOD GRIEF! You cannot just feed cats – you need to get them sterilized….”I cannot afford to get them sterilized because I am spending so much each month in food.” CAUSE and EFFECT – I could not make her understand that she caused this problem. Now animal services is trapping the cats and they will certainly be euthanized. She has no idea if any of these cats belong to neighbors or anyone else…”Just take them…”
Missing Cat Colony: A feral cat was taken to a local vet on Thursday. There used to be an entire colony there – but – they have been disappearing. NOW – someone has spray-painted "Die cats die". There is one additional cat still there and the care giver is trying to catch it.
Barney Bush Passes Away: Statement by President George W. Bush –“Laura and I are sad to announce that our Scottish terrier, Barney, has passed away. The little fellow had been suffering from lymphoma and after twelve and a half years of life, his body could not fight off the illness.
Barney and I enjoyed the outdoors. He loved to accompany me when I fished for bass at the ranch. He was a fierce armadillo hunter. At Camp David, his favorite activity was chasing golf balls on the chipping green.
Barney guarded the South Lawn entrance of the White House as if he were a Secret Service agent. He wandered the halls of the West Wing looking for treats from his many friends. He starred in Barney Cam and gave the American people Christmas tours of the White House. Barney greeted Queens, Heads of State, and Prime Ministers. He was always polite and never jumped in their laps.
Barney was by my side during our eight years in the White House. He never discussed politics and was always a faithful friend. Laura and I will miss our pal.”
Thanks for following the Barn Cats blog. See you next week! Peg