Sunday, September 27, 2015



Blog 09/21/15 to 09/27/15 

Relocations and In Take
Our Cats after Release
Bad Calls/Emails:  Always Leukemia Test FIRST
BMG (Bitch/Moan/Groan):  Rodents Attract Snakes
OMG (Oh My God):  Sam – Adopted 7 Years Ago
RIP, Truman
Witch Hat Weekly Special Photo – Leroy

Relocations and In Take:   We had 0 placements this week but Bonham did 8.      
            8          Bonham Rescue

Remember last week the backyard in Dallas (Sophia, Sally) – well we got there and the homeowner is planning some construction to start in the next month.  That would scare off the cats so we did not leave them last on 9/20…BUMMER!  SO – we really only placed one last week.  GEEZ – when will be weather break?  It is still so hot.     

Our Cats after Release:  
We had no one to pick up this week either.  In September, 2014, we placed 94 cats in the 37 counties that we service.  This year I think is less than 20.  I did a PRESS RELEASE to some small-town newspapers – hope it pans out.  We need some barns! 

Bad Calls/EMAILS:  Always Leukemia Test FIRST
Got some multi-screen texts from an independent rescuer who wanted some advice/help with some cats.  I just told her to call me.  Come to find out that she picked up a mom and kittens, had them in her garage for several months and NOW THEY ARE DYING!   A local vet had diagnosed the cats with leukemia.  Now she had a really problem on her hands because her cats in her house have not been vaccinated and it is a 3 month incubation period for feline leukemia.  Sorry – you cannot place any cats on your property until the end of that 3-month period.  Every cat who comes into Barn Cats has been tested.  Even that is not 100% but at least there is a chance they are clean of the disease.  It is highly contagious among cats...not to dogs or people.  When bringing a new cat(s) into your home, ALWAYS TEST FIRST!        

BMG:  Rodents Attract Snakes
I received an email from a location requesting 3 cats…GREAT – FINALLY!   I return this the “barn owner questions” and he responded with “My wife wants to wait to see if the one cat they have can handle the rats and rice by herself.”  OK – but remember:  rats and mice attract SNAKES and nobody wants SNAKES!  I was very disappointed because they wanted 3 cats.    
     
OMG:  Sam – Adopted 7 Years Ago
7 years ago we traded an orange tabby to the Coppell Humane Society for a cat they could not adopt out.  “Sam” went to live with a guy who just sent some pictures to the rescuer we worked with for the trade.  He is 14 now and (thankfully) in good health.  Take a look…some good news for a change! 
 

RIP, Trumam
I had Truman for only a year and a half.  About a week ago, he seemed “warm” to me.  I took him to the All Care.  He had a fever so they did some blood work and gave him an antibiotic shot, fluids, and a B-12 shot.  The fever was back to normal by last Monday.  I took him back to the clinic to be checked, and they discovered he had a tooth that was broken off and inflamed.  We scheduled a dental for Wednesday.  Wednesday morning at 2:53 a.m., he decided to cuddle and love on me.  The vet removed 4 teeth on Wednesday.  Wednesday night he ate some but wanted to be left alone.  Thursday I could not get him to eat and by that evening he was listless.  I took him to the Emergency Vet about 10:45 pm.  They discovered low blood sugar and put him on an IV drip with dextrose in it.  I picked him up at 8:30 am and took him directly to All Care.  They re-did the bloodwork and it was really bad and even worse from the evening before at the emergency clinic.  Both clinics suspected lymphoma.  I had him “put to sleep” on Friday afternoon.  This was so quick – now I treasure that 2:53 a.m. session where he go on my pillow and put his front paws all over my face.  What a nice boy!  I will truly miss him! 



   
Witch Hat Weekly Special Photo – Leroy
This is one of Chris’s cats names “Leroy”.   Leroy is between 12 and 14 years old…not a spring chicken.  The look in his eyes – WHAT IS GOING ON?     

   
Thanks for following the Barn Cat Blog.  See you next week!       Peg

No comments:

Post a Comment