Sunday, February 21, 2016



Blog 02/15/16 to 02/21/16


Relocations
Our Cats after Release
Bad Calls/Emails:  A Funny One
BMG (Bitch/Moan/Groan):  Can you rescue this cat?
OMG (Oh My God):  Pit Bulls and Parolees S7:E24 on
Animal Planet

Relocations and In Take:   We had 15 placements this week.    
5          Backyard in Boyd (Sally, Smudge, Mufasa, Teri, Julius)
2          Backyard in Flower Mound (Henry, Harry)
5          Adoption group (Ducky, Kiki, Lucy, Jedi, Yeti)
1          Backyard in Rockwall (Oreo)
2          Workshop in Gunter (Ebony, Shamu)

All our cats going out these cold days/nights are getting winter hidey boxes, rugs, blankets to cover the cages, and either a heater or a heat lamp. 
 
Our Cats after Release:
No equipment picked up this week. 

Bad Calls/EMAILS:  A Funny One
4 of the cats that went to adoption groups this week were in “trade” for a cat from a hoarder that is not adoptable.  I got Kiki, Lucy, Jedi, and Yeti from the Lewisville Animal Shelter and Barn Cats got Daisy in return.  That was all on Saturday.  Well, received a text on Sunday, THEY GAVE ME THE WRONG CAT!  I have Luna but with paperwork for Daisy.  Luna is also not adoptable and they are now saying they can take 6 additional cats from Lewisville if I come back and take Daisy and get paperwork on Luna.  I thought I was the only one that messed up paperwork.  Guess it is more of a universal problem than I thought.   

BMG:  Can you rescue this cat?
I get many emails each day from folks wanting me to take their cats.  We take who we can each week based on the number of placements that empty out cages.  BUT – received an email from a women this week…“I’m wondering if you could rescue this male black tux cat. He is at Mineral Wells animal shelter and has $150 in pledges.”  My response:  “Where are you?”  Her response:  “The cat is in Mineral Wells, TX. I think that’s about 1 hour 40 minutes west of you.”  My response:  “Where are you?”  …then NOTHING because she is probably sitting in Wyoming somewhere and spending all day scouring the internet for shelter cats to “help”.  Well there are probably 20 animal services shelters between Lewisville and Mineral Wells that could use my help.  PEOPLE – help animals LOCALLY.  Get off the internet and volunteer somewhere!         

OMG:  Pit Bulls and Parolees S7:E24 on Animal Planet
I have been waiting for this episode all season and it finally recorded last night.  The first emails I received about this was 3/3/15.  Texas Brine is a company that had a company town south of New Orleans.  They did mining or something that caused a GIANT SINK HOLE to develop and it is swallowing everything.  All the people have been relocated and their homes will be demolished.  BUT – there are 38 cats in that area that need to be saved.  The woman in the episode contacted me in March and I told her we are too far away and do not have enough resources to handle a rescue that is 10 hours away.  I advised her to find someone locally.  She had the idea to call the woman at Pit Bulls and Parolees in New Orleans who got Jackson Galaxy involved.  He is the “My Cat From Hell” guy – a cat behaviorist.  Well, it looks like it all worked out for the cats.  I have sent her an email saying CONGRADULATIONS!  You know rescue can have a happy ending after all.        

Thanks for following the Barn Cats Blog.          Peg

No comments:

Post a Comment