Monday, December 25, 2017



Blog 12/18/17 to 12/24/17

Seeking someone to take over Barn Cats, Inc.:  I would like to officially retire as Executive Director in 2019.  I can retain the fundraising pieces but would like to stop the relocations, equipment pickups, phone calls, and emails…the day-to-day stuff.  I will be available for consultation.  If interested call or email Barn Cats…972-315-2875 info@barncats.org

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Relocations
Our Cats after Release
Calls/Emails:  Another Round of Unanswerable Messages
BMG (Bitch/Moan/Groan):  UPDATE #2:  Cats from San Antonio
OMG (Oh My God):  UPDATE #1:  The Power of Micro-Chips

Relocations and In Take:   I placed 12 this week.  All will have heaters or heat lamps with them plus our double winter hidey boxes.      
4          Barn in Paradise (WW, Toyota, Duke, Alex)
5          Sanctuary in San Antonio (Can-Can, Rabbit, Paisley, Blossom, Lily)
2          Workshop in Forney (Miss Charlotte, Thomas)
1          Barn in Richardson (Ninja)

Our Cats after Release:    
1.     Emory:  Heather, Henry, and Spazz went to this workshop.  They are doing well – the rodents are gone – owner is happy!  ALL GOOD!     
2.     Wills Point:  4 went to this workshop with a heater (Blessing, Westie, Marty, Linus).  All are sticking close to the house – good news!   ALSO – the neighbor’s rodents are gone.  Double Success!
3.     Terrell:  Cricket, Zander and Denver went to this insulated workshop with a heater.  I saw all 3 but was not quick enough to get a picture.  SORRY – they are all in great shape! 
                                                           
Calls/Emails:  Another Round of Unanswerable Messages
Received 7 messages on Saturday.  Out of the 7, only 4 were answerable:
1.  “Need any cats?” – HA HA!  …but the mail box is not set up yet.
2.  “Need to place some cats” -- …mail box is full
3.  RECORDING – no doubt a solicitation call. 
GEEZ – PEOPLE:   Wake up.  Cannot help you when this is the situation.   
                                                                                               
BMG:   UPDATE:  Cats from San Antonio
Original Entry:  I received 4 cats from a local rescuer.  The paperwork was filled out ahead of time and just given to me.  When I looked at it, these cats are from a San Antonio suburb, are 7 years old, and two have a lot of white on them…ALL BAD!   PEOPLE:  There are plenty of cats here – why are you taking them from another part of Texas?  I know there are bad situation everywhere.  I get those calls, too.  I would be willing to bet that someone appealed to her via Facebook so she took in the cats without asking any questions THEN DISCOVERED THEY ARE NOT SOCIALIZED!   So – give them to Barn Cats.  I made several phone calls and also discovered a few things: 
1.  The organization that did the vet work HAS A BARN CAT PROGRAM.
2.  These cats have never been outside for their entire 7 year lives. 
OK – Another phone call to a cat sanctuary in that same area and she is going to take them in plus another 1 year old that was found with a can stuck to its’ head.  They will be going to the San Antonio area on 12/18.   GOOD FOR THEM!  Nice long lives in a protected area.  Why didn’t this happen the first time!  UPDATE #1:  The cats are traveling on Monday, 12/18/17 back to San Antonio via a transporter from Killeen.  I am meeting her in Hillsboro at noon.  Will be glad to get these “kids” to their “forever” home at the Cat Sanctuary.  That will be my Christmas present to myself!  UPDATE #2:  The transfer was made in Hillsboro at a McDonald’s.  They are back now in San Antonio and I assume doing great.    

OMG:  The Power of Micro-Chips (AMAZING STORY)   
I received a call from a member of a local humane organization that a cat that was micro-chipped to Barn Cats was living in her back yard in Lantana.  I did some research and discovered an AMAZING STORY: 
HERE ONCE:  Petey was given to Barn Cats by an adoption group in 2012.  I placed her in a barn in DeSoto with 3 other cats but she left and went to a backyard just on the other side of the pasture.  They turned her into to the Tri-City Shelter who called me. 
HERE TWICE:  I then placed her with another cat in a very nice barn in Bartonville in 2014.  BUT – she took off again and went to Lantana.  This time a local vet clinic called and I picked her up.    
HERE THREE TIMES:  I placed her with another cat in Argyle in 2015 but she only stayed 2 weeks.  The other cat is still there.  They were happy to hear that Petey is okay! 
HERE FOR THE FOURTH TIME:  Well, what now?  I will get her tested and shots updated this week but I think Petey is at Barn Cats to stay.  She is 6 or 7 years old now and obviously is not going to stay in a barn or garage or backyard.   Welcome Home, Petey!  UPDATE:  Well, Petey got her shots and was tested this week.  She is now loose in my cat room.  Seems comfortable!   GOOD LUCK – Petey!    


Thanks for following the Barn Cats Blog.            Peg       


                                                                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment