Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Week Ending 4/10/2011

We placed 15 this week but it was a “slow start”.
3 on Thursday
4 on Friday
6 on Saturday
2 on Sunday

Unfortunately, we also had to euthanize one of our older kitties on Thursday, Randi, who was in kidney failure. Poor thing…but the last 6 months of her life were safe and all indoors here at Barn Cats. She was living with Cindy, Larry, and Puddy in my Master Bedroom (the Elder Care Center). We call it “Larry’s Harem”.

The problems last week were caused by all the relocations coming at the end of the week with LOTS OF CATS coming in during the week. So – cages everywhere – at least for a few days.

One of the relocations was to replace Katrina Cats that had been placed in early 2006. The last one had passed away from cancer on Monday. I have always wondered if those cats would get cancer or some other nasty illness due to the slug they were living in for soooooo long in New Orleans. I kept one of those cats, Jimmy. His “colony” is now my house and he just plays, and plays, and plays! A nice boy but feral as they come. I can pet him only when he is eating. Once a year, I “wrangle” him into a carrier and get him in for his annual checkup and shots. Last year, a growth appeared on his nose that scared me. It turned out to not be cancer and that was a relief.

Saturday I drove from Midlothian to Wilmer – not bad – to place some cats but then headed North on I-75 to pick up equipment north of McKinney and in Van Alstyne. That is when I got stuck in a GIANT traffic jam south of Allen with the entire freeway closed down. With the van over-heating, as it does, I inched my way off the main road and spent some time on the access road. At the first possible opportunity, I got onto Greenville that is also Hwy 5 that goes north to McKinney (and beyond). Getting to the two equipment pick up sites was not a problem after that UNTIL I started home. I take the 121 toll road from I-75 to I-35E…but….both sides of that freeway were also closed down due to construction of the new overpass system connecting the Dallas North Tollway to the 121 Tollway. I could not win on Saturday!

Neighbor Nancy and I traveled into East Texas on Wednesday to pick up equipment in Gilmer and Lindale. We made a special stop south of Greenville to go to the home of Barbara and Gary Avary, the birdhouse people. About 6 or 7 years ago, Donna and I met the Avary’s along Hwy 380 in Denton county selling their home-made birdhouses. The houses are beautiful and well-made with even a pop out section so you can clean them out each year. After Denton county, they moved East still on Hwy 380, then to Hwy 121 near Trenton, and now are on Hwy 205 between Terrell and Rockwall. The problem is that they are only out on Saturday’s and we have not run into them in a long time. Well, I wanted some birdhouses for our auction in June and for the Metroplex Animal Coalition auction in May. I took some searching but we found a business card with their phone number and made an appointment to so some shopping. It was fun! They have several sheds / workshops with birdhouses everywhere!

Well that is about it. I love the spring with all the relocations….and…the bluebonnets are now blooming!

No comments:

Post a Comment