Saturday, June 25, 2011

Week ending 5/8/2011 (this is a big one!)

I am glad this week is over. There were so many “out of the ordinary” things going on that it was exhausting.

Monday – I received a call about 6 pm from an elderly lady that there were 3 kittens out in the cold and the rain and that another cat was injured (probably hit by a car) in East Dallas. The 3 kittens she could get into a dog crate. The injured cat (this sent me over the edge) she put in a dog crate with no door, put a black plastic bag around it and left it by the side of her house. I wanted to reach through the phone and strangle her. I rounded up Nancy from across the alleyway and we started out in rush hour traffic to rescue these cats. The injured cat was in bad shape. I contacted Dr. Patty Weber on her cell and she advised euthanasia at the Carrollton Animal Emergency Clinic. The 3 kittens were about 5 weeks old and could eat solid food. The mom was around but could not be caught – we needed a trap but did not think to take one. We took the poor injured cat to the clinic and then delivered the 3 kittens to a cage in my cat room. They ate well and quickly fell asleep. I was surprised the next morning when they “had” used the litter box!

Tuesday – I took the 3 tiny kittens and 3 adults from Barn Cats to the McKinney SPCA. Our 3 friendlier cats had come 2 from an apartment complex and 1 from Dallas Animal Services. THEN – I drove from McKinney to East Dallas to take the elderly couple a trap. (We are in desperate need of a Barn Cats helicopter). That evening the mama cat was caught and now I will need to go back to East Dallas on Wednesday.

Wednesday – I took one cat to All Care to be spayed early in the morning and then started AGAIN for East Dallas. I picked her up and returned to All Care to get her spayed, as well. When I returned home, Nancy and I went to lunch then I settled in to return phone calls. There were 2 calls from a guy in North Dallas who has a mom and 5 kittens. Last Monday evening during the severe weather, this mom came in through his doggie door carrying her kittens one by one and left them in his house. He rounded them up into a dog carrier and started calling folks. I advised him to contact the McKinney SPCA but they could not take any more kittens. SO – he leaves me two phone messages (I am not home) and then at a little after 11 am, he takes mama and the 5 to Dallas Animal Services! He does not even give me time to call him back…because…the downtown SPCA now has a “trade”….so we can get his cats in there and Barn Cats gets the un-adoptable cat. I would have been so smooth – but now we have to wait until next Tuesday to get the mom and babies out of “jail“. Update next week…

Thursday – Today we provided caging for 3 cats to be moved from Love Field to a backyard in Rockwall. Also, at a recommendation from Barn Cats, Little Elm Animal Services got 2 cats placed with the downtown SPCA and Ken with Hickory Creek Animal Services placed 5 with the McKinney SPCA. I think we have invented a new task – CAT BROKERING!

Friday – We picked up equipment in Garland from a warehouse. Both cats are doing well. Took in 4 from Ft. Worth to be relo’ed on Saturday and then picked up equipment in Northlake. Ileana is doing well in Northlake, as well. She originally came from Kitty Save as un-adoptable.

Saturday – Our new volunteer, Julie, went with me to Red Oak for the relocation of 4 cats to a barn. It was her first trip with Barn Cats. It went well – the barn – not the best and not the worst. The people are nice and the house is right next to the barn. We then proceeded further south to Waxahachie/Midlothian area to pick up some equipment from a completed relo of Casper and Abby. They are both sticking around. Julie and I got back in time to meet Nancy and Chris at Applebee’s for lunch.
I need to speak briefly about people who release cats to Barn Cats but cannot seem to “let go”. They call and text wanting to talk to the barn owners and/or go “visit” the cats. NOPE – That is a privacy issue. We will do the best we can for them.

Sunday – I am meeting Brenda from East Texas at 12:30 today to get a cat from Myra in Mineola. It is a friendly cat and should be easily traded if it tests negative. Keep your paws crossed!

More next week, if I survive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Peg

No comments:

Post a Comment