Sunday, August 27, 2017



Blog 08/21/17 to 08/27/17


Seeking someone to take over Barn Cats, Inc.:  I would like to officially retire as Executive Director in 2019.  I can retain the fundraising pieces but would like to stop the relocations, equipment pickups, phone calls, and emails…the day-to-day stuff.  I will be available for consultation.  If interested call or email Barn Cats…972-315-2875 info@barncats.org

NORTH TEXAS GIVING DAY 2017 – THURSDAY, Sept. 14th

Relocations
Our Cats after Release
Calls/Emails:  Update from 2 Fort Worth Barns
BMG (Bitch/Moan/Groan:  Problem in Denton County – UPDATE!
OMG (Oh My God):  Update from Terrell

Relocations and In Take:   I placed 18 this week. 
5          Garage/workshop in Emory (Scrawny, Scrappy, Grumpy Face, CJ, May)
2          Barn in Argyle (Sophie, Harry)
3          Barn in McKinney (Savannah, Georgia, Pepper)
1          Barn in Lucas (Rocky)
2          Barn in McKinney (Molly, Sammy)
2          Garage in Hickory Creek (Coopa, Glenda)
3          Barn in Lowry Crossing (Alice, Marigold, Persimmon)

Our Cats after Release:    No Equipment picked up this week. 

Calls/Emails:  Update from 2 Fort Worth Barns
Put 4 cats in this nice barn in Fort Worth.  This was several months ago.  I got an update:  “I saw all four of our barn cats last night before dark, relaxing in the grass, stalking prey and coming into the barn for food and water.  I had not seen all four together, so I wasn’t sure if I had seen all of ours or whether other cats were coming in.  Happy to see them getting more comfortable to their surroundings.  Rodent population is dropping.  My neighbor who also got four cats reports no more rodent droppings in her barn and cats using the litter box.”  WOW – all good news from both locations! 
   

 
BMG:   Problem in Denton County – UPDATE! 
I put 4 cats out with a cat guy on his property.  2 turned friendly and he let them inside.  Then there was some bad weather out that way and his chicken coop was destroyed.  He wanted some additional cats so I left the equipment there.  I tried to make an appointment with him before I left for vacation but could not reach him.  He was traveling, I think, on family business.  NOW – I cannot reach him – phone is disconnected and email is also not working.  I went to the property on Saturday.  The electricity and water are working.  The property is not FOR SALE but does not look maintained.  I saw 3 of the 4 cats.  There was food in the shed and I spread some out but the cats did not seem hungry and did not “look bad”.  I think someone else may be feeding them…but….???  I found our equipment in the shed and removed it.  I left a note on the front door and am just waiting for a call.  I will return this week to leave a note attached to the bag of food that is in the shed.  If someone is feeding, they may not see the note on the front door.   If I get no response from the note on the food bag, I will go out there and re-trap those cats.  Stayed turned for the update next week.  
UPDATE:  I did go back over on Monday evening and put out some extra food.  I saw 2 of the 4 cats.  THE NOTE I LEFT ON SATURDAY ON THE FRONT DOOR WAS GONE!  …but no one has called me about it.  I just don’t know what else to do.  ON FRIDAY – I did receive a call from a friend of his who is now living on the property.  He passed away!  …don’t know circumstances but it is none of my business actually.   The friend is now taking care of the cats and the property…so…I guess everything is OK.  I guess I just have to trust him.  I offered to take back the cats anytime.  If he calls, I will do that but for now I guess this issue is closed.            

OMG:  Update from Terrell
“It is almost 3 years since we got the 2 feral barn cats from you for our horse barn here in Terrell. TX.  In the beginning, we were lucky to even see these girls when we walked into the barn.  About 10 months later, a miracle occurred and one of the cats, a calico we call Meowsette, jumped down from the haystack and rubbed up against my arm as I filled her cat feeder.  I was so startled, I just froze afraid to move.  Each day this because a regular thing and now she willingly lets us pet her and she ever comes out of the barn to meet up to welcome us in!  The other cats, a tortoiseshell names Mollie, is about as feral as they come – in the first year we had her – I NEVER saw her unless I opened a stall where she happened to be hiding and then she would make a B-Line to the closest exit as fast as she could.  I would only see a blur as she sped past me!  There was one stretch of time we went about 6 weeks without seeing her.  I wasn’t sure if she ran away or died or what.  But then a few weeks of bad weather kept her near the barn and I started seeing her run out of the barn again when I showed up.  But I can happily report that we have had another miracle =-- here in the last couple of weeks when I come out to feed them, Mollie stands about 1-0 feet away until I am done and as I walk away she jumps up to the feeder and watches me.  She no longer runs as fast as she can to get out of sight.  Hopefully in time she will trust us enough to let us pet her someday.  I am hopeful! “

Thanks for following the Barn Cats Blog.            Peg

1 comment: