Sunday, June 22, 2014



Blog 06/16/14 to 06/22/14

Relocations and In Take
Our Cats after Release
Bad Calls/Emails:   TNR in Arlington
BMG (Bitch/Moan/Groan):  Residual Full Moon
OMG (Oh My God):  What a Week!

Relocations and In Take:   Placed 26 this week with intake at 11.       
2          Barn in Collin County (Stripes, Loretta)
2          Barn in McKinney (Routy, Squeaky)
4          Barn in Blue Ridge (Anna, Roxy, Thomas, Junior)
2          Backyard in Colleyville (Dominica, Cayman)
3          Barn in Flower Mound (Peepers, Toby, Baby Girl)
2          Barn in Bartonville (Misty, Ginny)
4          Kittens from Leonard to an adoption group
7          Bonham Rescue

Our Cats after Release:  Picked up equipment in 2 locations this week.        
1.      Fort Worth:  Gypsy, Barney, and Bobbie were placed in this barn.  I did not see the cats but the property owner is not seeing any mouse droppings and they are eating….all good! 
2.      Cedar Hill:  Mary, Martha, and Lazarus were placed in this garage/workshop with an upstairs apartment.  All three are around but mostly hiding out.  Little Lazarus was so scared when I left them there – he was shaking!  Mom and sister were just taking it all in.  It is a good place for them.  The barn owner returned the caging so I did not get to see any of them. 
 
Bad Calls/EMAILS:  TNR in Arlington
A neighbor is moving and is concerned with a group of cats that a lady (rescurer??) takes cats for TNR (Trap/Neuter/Return) then does not continue to feed them – WHAT?  Does Arlington Animal Services know about this?  He has been feeding them but after he moves….not so much.  Another weird deal! 

BMG:  Residual Full Moon
June 13th was a Friday the 13th and also a full moon.  My problems started that day….
1.      I called a barn to pick up equipment and the barn owner said one of the cats had been sick and then spent $400 on the vet care….hummmm!   Obvious Question:  “Why didn’t you call me?”  The vet did a test and said the cat was caring the bacteria for Cat Scratch Fever.  I told her that I wanted to speak to my vet…and…87% of all cats will test positive for this condition.  What would prompt a vet to check for Bartonella?  Anyway, I called her on Saturday to ask her what she wanted to do – but she never called me back either Saturday or Sunday.  Monday I called again and this time she answered the phone and after a short conversation she said to pick up the cats and take the medicine.  She had not given the cat the meds because she did not want to get Cat Scratch Fever!  I picked up the cats, caging, and the medicine.  That evening I check the label on dosage and it said to store between 44 and 77 degrees but it had been sitting out in a 90 degree barn!  OOPS!  Well guess it is a good thing she did not give the cat the medicine.  OH WELL! 
2.      Tuesday I had scheduled a 2-cat relo to a barn east of McKinney.  The lady was nice and they lived on the property.  Since they were more friendly, I I set the date of release for Saturday 6/28 – also so I can pick up equipment the next Monday, 6/30.  On Friday evening at 7:30 pm I check the phone messages for the day and there was one at 8:52 am from the husband of this lady.  He wanted to return the cats because he and his son are allergic…what?  Anyway, I called and called on Saturday and Sunday to pick up the cats but neither of them returned my calls.  Then FINALLY I decided to text them and low and behold they both answered.  SURPRISE!  So I left immediately on Sunday afternoon about 3:30 to drive there to get the cats out of the middle of this husband/wife disagreement.  OK – it even gets better – She said the cats were in a stall and they seemed to like it there…???  Should have still been in the cage for 6 more days?  Well, maybe she moved the cage into a stall…???  NOPE – the cats were loose in one of the horse stalls and luckily had not escaped or I could not have helped them if I could not have found them.  I was able to pick each up and put them back in carriers for the trip back home.  They are safe now and that family dispute can be resolved without the cats being involved.    
3.      Wednesday I received a call and email from a home owner in Irving wanting cats for her backyard.  It is an older neighborhood with many rodents.  SO – packed up the cats and headed to Irving with Neighbor Nancy.  BUT – when we got there, there was no room in the garage for the caging.  Her husband refused to move the vehicle in the garage so we were S.O.L.  His parting words were “Kiss my ___!” – nice – enjoy those rats bubba!
4.      Got a call from a lady in Greenville who I had taken kittens from several years ago.  I took the kittens and then made an appointment for the mom to be spayed at the low-cost clinic IN GREENVILLE!   She missed the appointment – missed a second appointment and a 3rd.  AND this is with Barn Cats paying for the spay!  Then, you can probably guess, she called me last June wanting me to take more kittens.  I told her “When that mom is spay, I will come get the kittens.”  That was last year – now – YES – she has more kittens.  Told her this year that I would take them only if she can get them to the Dallas area….sure….fat chance!   No action yet!  She now says that the mom is “gone”.


OMG:  What a Week! 
I am glad this one is over.  Next week could not be any worse.  I am trying to get everything organized so I can leave town in July.  It is always a struggle – email coverage, phone coverage, cat sitting schedule, pickup equipment, cat food and litter, cleaning supplies, utility payments, etc.  I am usually so tired when I get on a plane that I immediately fall asleep.   

Sorry no pictures this week.  Have lots of equipment to pick up next week – so maybe will have some pictures to share. "Thanks" for following the Barn Cats Blog.  See you next week!    Peg
Sorry
























    

No comments:

Post a Comment